Steelcitygrit [in exile]

Ruminating on all things Canadian and political.

 

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

worth the wait (well - maybe not entirely)

Obviously the real issue here is how long this was in coming. That's not something I would refute. It really made no sense in the first place. It only became stranger when his campaign was so completely and bizarrely unresponsive to the public fallout that was being created. To release something now only makes the whole thing more bizarre and troubling.

Nevertheless, this is the best statement issued by any politician in Canada. He doesn't waste much space with a superfluous argument about how Israel has a right to defend itself from terrorism. He rather assumes this from the outset. If we could all do the same we'd save a lot of time.

Neither does he play any post-modern games. He places the blame for the conflict's eruption squarely on Hezbollah's shoulders. However, he doesn't stop here. Instead he recognizes the real issue that exists beyond this fairly straightforward assignment of responsibility. That is - that Israel needs to think of more than simply its justification. If the loss of Humanity in Lebanon is not apparently negative enough, than its significance is expressed purely in terms of how damaging it is to Israel ultimately. This is an argument rooted in real politik rather than human security, but it is done so in an effort to find an audience. This spirit is conveyed in the statements of most of the others, but there is a commendable degree of clarity here.

Secondly, he is more clear than others on Canada's role. He acknoledges our practical restraints, and offers a plan based on our capacity.

When I read this, I see more than I did in the statements of most others. I hear echoes of Janice Gross Stein, Ignatieff's friend and fellow giant head. But, as I say, its content needs to take a back seat to its incomprehensible delivery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Tonight I deliver a speech to a bunch of older Greater Ipperwash area white people about how the Six Nations occupiers at Caledonia are merely upholding law and order. Pray for my soul.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The over reaction to Iggy being away is just plain "pathetic". I like his views...shows more understanding that others of the situation.

Whether he said it yesterday or 2 weeks ago doesn't matter because unfortunately, Harper is calling the shots right now.

Iggy's gotten more attention (unnecessarily so) in his absence than the other candidates present.......hmmmm - he is at least making the news - the other aren's.

7:42 AM  
Blogger SteelCityGrit said...

It doesn't matter in practical terms - that's true. It was just very unpolitic - and yeah, I suppose that's not always such a bad thing either.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^ I agree. Probably because perceive him as the race's "front-runner." I can't blame the media for that. Iggy, through his very clear and practical plans, has definitely distanced himself from the other contenders of the crown.

Clear, practical, and not just throwing rhetorical questions - these are the things that the Liberal Party has to have.

8:28 AM  
Blogger S.K. said...

Welll everyone else said something three weeks ago and had about a sentence to state their views. Ignatieff was given an entire op ed piece. Why I don't know given he is obviously following on this one and not leading. We want a leader, right?

10:10 AM  
Blogger Zac said...

Mike, I have to agree the statement is bang on, but a little late. Either way, better late than never.

Good luck on the speech, if its anything like the article you submitted I'm sure you'll be fine.

10:31 AM  
Blogger SteelCityGrit said...

"Well everybody else...had about a sentence to state their views"

In fairness, the wonders of modern technology are such that even without an op-ed, candidates are able to publicly develop as long and comprehensive a statement as they wish. I mean, if I'm able to...


"...he is obviously following on this one and not leading. We want a leader, right?"

That's an interesting point, and we certainly do. Ignatieff seems to be travelling against the current and ignoring the trends on the issue of Afghanistan. This, then, is that leadership you crave? You may be right to criticize him in this instance (I'm not sure - I'm not willing to discard the family tragedy story) but it does create a precedent.

11:53 AM  
Blogger SteelCityGrit said...

Cheers Zac

12:35 PM  
Blogger SteelCityGrit said...

Why did it take two weeks? I don't know. I don't think it did take two weeks - I think Ignatieff was doing other things for two weeks. It's still problematic, as I argued in my post.

It was a good clear op-ed. I don't mean to fawn, and I don't think that's what I'm doing. I've been only critical of him for some time now.

Rotary club actually. I only just escaped. Steve did pick me up, I did say "I think we're safe now", but he responded with "The truth is much more terrifying." Then he did one of those sideways blinks that the alien does in Men In Black when Will Smith is still just a policeman. Man I hope soemone picks up that reference.

7:01 PM  
Blogger SteelCityGrit said...

I'm not going to launch into a detailed defence of Iggy, because I have not interest in doing that. I'm not going to engage in that ridiculous reductionism which is assigning good and evil in the Middle East.

But I will, very briefly, defend myself.

"And for those whose eyes were too star struck on the first read, if you revisit the article with a dash of objectivity you will find that his concern, unlike other candidates, is not the alarming rate of civilian casualties, but that continued hostility is strategically contrary to Israeli interests."

From my original post:
"This is an argument rooted in real politik rather than human security..."

Open your damn eyes before you spew in my direction, tough guy.

10:58 AM  
Blogger SteelCityGrit said...

No worries

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home