Steelcitygrit [in exile]

Ruminating on all things Canadian and political.

 

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Bevilacqua's Automatic Supporters?

A further thought on the Bevilacqua adventures of late:

Bevilacqua's comments regarding his support of Bob Rae filling up the chamber for the man support-wise is a bit off-putting. For one, this implies the instant switchover of his loyal supporters to Bob Rae. But of course? Well, that seems to be the reaction I've noticed, but to me it seems far from obvious that people supposedly enamoured of Maurizio's leadership platform would jump to the call of their leader when he's made such an unexpected move, especially before even officially declaring for him. Whatever similarities Bevilacqua sees in Rae, they can't be so instantly sensible to his former supporters. At the convention, sure, I understand this, but at this point, let us hope that we are not too deep into horse-trading over the backing the candidate that matches our own personal visions for the party. Some going to Ignatieff recently underscores this, though that is also a bit odd in some ways.

Is this naive? Not really. I don't for a minute suggest not factoring in a candidate's potential. After all, politics is indeed the art of the possible...to a degree (make sense?). It's a tightrope to be sure. But I'd say it's safe to say a former staunch Bevilacqua backer hasn't exactly been concerning himself or herself with the fastest route to victory.

-Steve

6 Comments:

Blogger S.K. said...

I don't think a lot of delegates will automatically move to the candidate their choice supports. I know who my second choice is and that won't change no matter who Dryden moves to if he drops off the ballot in December. I think a lot of people feel the same way. They will choose who to support second themselves.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Zac said...

I know who I'm going to second. I dont care who Ignatieff supports if he gets knocked off early, I know who I would support.

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm bouncing two names around as my second choice, but if SB shows me her cat-o-nine tails and her cat woman suit I might just follow her to Joe-V...;^)

12:29 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Folks I don't really think that's how it works, officially at least. How much leeway do delegates have? That actually isn't what I was even worried about. At that stage if you're locked you may be, but what I'm saying is concerning is at this stage before delegates have even officially filed such free spiritedness should be hoped for. But hey you all take it further so that's great.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Oh you know it Mark, you know it.

-Sorry for the lack of updates, I'm moving, just unpacking now.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

that's a sorry to everyone, not Sholdice specificaly, in fact, I am not sorry to you Sholdice. Such is life.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home